Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

SOLVED (ECU) - EZ-EFI 2.0 not "Learning" ?

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Pfingstl, May 30, 2016.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Hi Jens,

Are your ECU power and ground wire connected directly to the battery? They should be - and should be routed away from other wiring. Until the learning problem is fixed, there's not much more that can be done. You could check the plug side electrode coloration to be sure you have the correct heat range.

The rebooting issue could be the handheld cable. But, it might also mean you need to add a filter capacitor between the pink ECU power wire and a good ground. If you need the filter, moving the pink wire to direct battery power will not help. A small 50 volt or better 82 Pico Farad non-electrolytic capacitor will usually do the trick.

2. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

ECU is connected directly to the battery.

Started the car this morning without any Handheld reboot (No extension Cable). Could be luck..
    With the Ext. Cable Reboot would happened just with ign. on waiting for the O2 to turn green

I have just ordered a 82 pF Capacitor and will install it (close to the ECU ?), and I will extend and reroute the ECU power wire away from any other electronics.

UPDATE - Handheld rebooted again..........

I will be back........

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The filter capacitor can be installed anywhere on the pink wire. The ignition +12v connection point is fine. Check the old GM OEM engine harness grounds and chassis grounds for resistance.

4. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Battery to frame and engine to frame has been renewed/checked

Will look for bad ground wires on the rest of the car!!

What should resistance show and how do I check that .......

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

There should be no resistance in the grounds. Check using an Ohmmeter set to the lowest scale.

6. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Hey Jens,

Just a thought, but does your handheld ever read something other than IAC at 90 at key on, engine off? If it does, it could be a bad IAC motor on the throttle body or the ECU. Did you get that capacitor installed to the pink +12 volt ignition wire?

8. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Handheld shows IAC at 90....

I haven't had time to install the Capacitor. Will do it during the week.

9. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Installed Capasitor. Didn't help.

Still has to reroute / isolate power to ECU.

10. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The capacitor should at least keep the handheld from ever re-booting while driving. If the re-routing/isolating of the main power doesn't work, I guess there is no alternative but to do an RMA with FAST.

11. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

I will also install the extension cable to see if rebooting stops. It has only happend a few times since it was removed (Before I installed the Capacitor).

Stay positive :)
    We don't have any problems - just challenges !

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  12. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Any news?

13. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Haven't had time to move the power supply yet.

Still no "Learning", but at least no Handheld rebooting so far......

14. A A

A A Well-Known Member

That's good news. At least, the filter capacitor is helping and has solved the handheld rebooting issue.:)

15. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Hmmmmmm
    Still no learning........

MSD Module is installed behind the passenger seat in the storage compartment. Power to coil ran through the center console - now it runs on the right side to the coil in engine compartment. Power to ECU runs from battery in left rear storage compartment through the center console. ECU (Behind dash) and MSD Module is about 3 Feet apart. Not a lot of room for wiring so at some point they come close to each other.

Power connected directly to battery (Fan, ECU, Vintage Air)
    Capacitor on Pink wire - extension cable on handheld and still no rebooting/errors after starting engine a few times. At least that seemed to solve one problem.

Haven't driven the car, but it has been idling to +170 - IN GEAR

What about:
    Ignition cable noise?
    Spark Plug noise? - AC Delco R43TS
    MSD Capacitor on power to Module?

From day one the Car starts, drives fine and pulls like a Mule. No Backfire. No Pinging. No hesitation.
    There has never been any Error messages.

I am almost about to order new Handheld and ECU just to have part on stock to test. It would be easier then sending the parts for testing.

I could try to isolate/shield the power to ecu but i doubt it will help.

Photo: Idle after warmup in Gear

IMG_3651.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  16. A A

A A Well-Known Member

As usual, your numbers look great - just no learning LED.

"Ignition cable noise?" - Possible, but you would have IRM numbers or codes with the engine running.
    "Spark Plug noise?" - AC Delco R43TS - Not a problem.
    "MSD Capacitor on power to Module?" - Not a problem.

What do you mean concerning +170 in gear?

17. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Just that engine temp was hot enough for learning to kick in.

EDIT: +140 Degrees

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  18. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I think getting a spare ECU and handheld would be a good idea - but man, what if new ones somehow did the same thing. I really don't think you have an issue in your wiring or anything else - has to be the ECU or the handheld. At least with spares, you could stand the RMA turn around times.

19. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

I am trying to locate a least the Handheld from someone here in Denmark. That would be an easy test.

The "Learning" LED is only a green dot on the screen - send from the ECU. To me the most obvious thing would be a faulty ECU. But what do i know.

I can't drive without ECU and the handheld is only a little extra compared to shipping, tax, fee's and so on. But you are right - it would be annoying to buy unnecessary parts........

20. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

I have found someone with a Handheld.

Will test it this Friday.