Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Spark plugs for new startup on EFI

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by crash520, Dec 14, 2017.

1. crash520

crash520 Member

GUYS QUICK QUESTION
    I’m about to install the EFI 2.0 TBI on my stock low compression 340 Cuda, what do you recommend for heat range for a new set of plugs to be able to monitor things please

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Use the stock sparkplug heat range the manufacturer of the heads on the engine recommends, or one range colder.

3. crash520

crash520 Member

Thanks AA

4. crash520

crash520 Member

The manual say N9Y for the 340, N13Y for 318’s and 360’s, that’s of course a Champion plug, are NGK’s better or worse, what’s recommended and should I go more toward the N13Y side of the heat range??

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I would stay with the recommended 340 heat range. I like the NGK copper V-gap plugs better. Just cross over to the correct plug in NGK if you want. With NGK, the larger the number, the colder the plug. NGK will cross you over to the correct plug by phone. Just let them know you want one heat range colder. You don't want any of the special alloy tip plugs. You will want a resistor plug.

6. crash520

crash520 Member

AA, why a resistor plug please??? also NGK only show a nickle V-gap, no copper v-gap, the standard plug in the NGK range would be a BP6ES, so a BP7ES is one colder.

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The V-Power is copper - center electrode content. The resistor plug will lower EMI that will upset the ECU. The non-resistor plugs don't always work out with EFI installations. The correct plug would be BPR6ES with the BPR7ES being one range colder.

BPR6ES is NGK is a standard plug, heat range 6 - a fairly cold plug for a stock engine. So, I would use a heat range 6 plug first.

BKR6E is V-Power and will work fine for you. The only difference is it installs with a 5/8 socket. Do not use anti-seize and do not change the gap set by NGK. Torque 15-18 ft. lbs.

crash520 likes this.
  8. crash520

crash520 Member

Thanks AA, your a champion, no pun

9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You're welcome. :)