Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Staging Boost

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by bvaughan, Feb 22, 2015.

1. bvaughan

bvaughan New Member

I want to do something simple with the boost controller but not quite sure how to do it. All I want to do is maintain a set boost pressure (say 6psi while staging) then allow the turbo to spool up to maximum boost after letting the transbrake go. I have no controller on it now and have left at as little as 1psi to as much as 12 psi. Well 1 psi is super slow and 12 psi will put it on the bumper. I also want to use a Aux output to turn on a light to indicate when I have met my target psi so I can creep in the second second staging light. Is this possible?

I don't have the creep function wired up but have the solid state relay and just ordered the pins for the connector.

Bill Vaughan

2. bvaughan

bvaughan New Member

One more thing. I looked up the EFI university schedule which I would like to attend. You guys are having it at Majestic Motorsports in NC the last weekend in March. We have a huge shutdown for maintenance at the steel mill I work at which will not allow me to go that weekend (had to be that weekend). Are you guys going to do it anywhere around Carolina this year or is your schedule set? I am tired of having to have a tuner.

3. pbp1

pbp1 Member

Staging boost is actually pretty easy to setup. Just use the Time based boost control table, and wire the PA Hold wire to your transbrake but be aware that the "PA Hold" wire needs to see a ground to activate. You can tie the "PA Hold" wire to your transbrake button since it will be switcing ground when you incorporate the T-Brake Creep function. When you do this, all you have to do is set the first column in the Time Based Boost Control table (which will be defined as Zero time) at whatever duty cycle you want to give your boost control solenoid while staging. When you release the transbrake button, the timer will start counting and following your programmed boost curve. One more benefit of this setup is that while the "PA Hold" is activated, you can command a Fixed timing, VE, and Target A/F value that are only active while you are staging or on the transbrake. When the transbrake is released, timing and fuel return to the normal tables.

4. TurboNova

TurboNova Active Member

Lake Havasu City AZ.. but mostly travel tuning
    Dave is exactly right, you will have to play around with the duty cycle to find what duty% = the boost you want but it is pretty easy. Keep in mind you will have to set the power adder tables correctly meaning that it is enabled, goes into PA mode RPM and TPS enables and you check ALL other PA settings. This will help you build boost really quick using the two step, boost and timing values.

5. bvaughan

bvaughan New Member

I think I have my internal data logger switch tied in the the PA function somehow. It has been a while since I wired it up. Do I have to change the way I have it wired?

6. TurboNova

TurboNova Active Member

Lake Havasu City AZ.. but mostly travel tuning
    Nope the PA enable in the software just needs to be setup. If you are using the PA enable as the logger it will enable the logger and let you use the PA functions if the conditions are met.

7. bvaughan

bvaughan New Member

Thanks guys.

8. Bio86

Bio86 Member

Old post but working on a similar setup as the above. Does the PA Ramp Retard work the same as the PA Boost Table at zero time? Sounds like it would but if timing on stage 1 is set to fixed timing would it try to pull from that set value or wait until PA hold is released then use PA Ramp Retard to pull from the base timing table? Want to make sure I fully understand that before trying anything. If anyone has an example of a simple 2 stage boost building gct file that ramps boost and timing I could peak at just to double check myself it'd sure be appreciated!