Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Stuck in the middle

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Rumblefrog, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Rumblefrog

Rumblefrog Member

I've been running an EZ-EFI system on my ZZ-4 equipped FJ-60 Landcruiser for seven years now. Never been entirely happy with the quirky, weather-dependent performance of this system, but I have gotten accustomed to it. I run a Performance Distributors DUI distributor with the FAST "RPM Module" connected to the "Tach" terminal on the distributor. A couple of weeks ago, the engine just shut down while cruising on the highway.

I checked my fuel pressure - it's perfect. Disconnected the fuel line at the rail and verified that there is plenty of fuel flow. Verified that I have spark. Checked my injectors with my noid lights, and verified that there is no signal to the injectors. I called FAST, and they walked me through some diagnostics. They said that the problem was that my "RPM module" is burnt out. They said that, even though the instructions say that the connection can be made to the distributor if the RPM module is used, it was not good to connect this way. I was told that I needed a digital ignition box (CD ignition) to assure a good, clean signal to the injectors, so I bought a FAST E6 ignition. When I received it, I tried to figure out how to connect it to the distributor - there are not examples that appear similar to my distributor. My distributor has only two connections, one labeled
    "BATT," which connects directly to the ignition switch and one labeled "TACH." I asked FAST for some advice on how to connect the E6 to this distributor, and they said "I don't know; you should contact Performance Distributors and ask them." I called Performance Distributors, and the fellow I was told I needed to talk to was too tied up on the phone, so I asked if I could e-mail him and was told that would be a good idea. So, I e-mailed him, about two weeks ago, and included scans of all the various EZ-EFI, E6 and Distributor instruction sheets. I never received even an acknowledgement of my e-mail. I waited a week and e-mailed again - still no response. So I e-mailed again, last night, and asked, very kindly, if if might receive an acknowledgement of my e-mails. Still no response.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. LnL

LnL Member

[​IMG]
    This picture is taken from Performance Distributors D.U.I. website, as listed for a ZZ-4 crate motor. You don't have the pig-tail wire coming from the housing to the cap, as shown in the picture? That pig-tail will connect to the HEI module inside the distributor - THAT is what the CD box is replacing, you will not be using the HEI module anymore. There should be a jumper harness that will fit in place of the HEI module, connecting to the pigtail and the internal wires.

If that is not clear, just google the instructions for connecting an MSD 6AL box to an HEI distributor - it will be the same basic connections.

FWIW, I had an EZ 2.0 system connected to an HEI, and it ran poorly. I switched to a Dual-Sync and the FAST CD box/coil, and immediately saw a tremendous improvement in system performance.

Good luck.

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

This can be done, but the HEI makes it more difficult. MSD makes it easy in their instructions.

You'll need to find and use the Davis distributor magnetic pickup wires with the FAST HI-6 magnetic pickup wires - the wires must also be phased as operation will be poor if not in phase.

Compare this MSD manual, page 14 instructions to your HI-6 instructions for the correct wiring. http://documents.msdperformance.com/6425.pdf

You will then wire the coil in the same manner, and the FAST ignition (HI-6) "Tach" wire will connect to the FAST EZ EFI ECU harness "Tach in" wire. The FAST ignition box supplies a clean tachometer signal - something the tach adapter module never did.

4. shelbydogg

shelbydogg Member

It was working for 7 years. Did you show an RPM signal on the handheld? If so, your RPM module was good and more troubleshooting is needed with the ECU. Do the injectors prime?
    If you determined that the module was bad, replace it.

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

He's already purchased a new FAST HI-6 - which will always provide a clean "tach" signal to the ECU. I agree, a new FAST Tach module would have been a less expensive route than a new HI-6, but it may clear up some of the problems he mentioned he always has had.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  6. Rumblefrog

Rumblefrog Member

Thanks VERY much for this info, it was extremely helpful. I shared it with the Performance Distributors folks (Davis Unified Ignition), and they agree with the wiring connections as indicated in the MSD instructions.

7. Rumblefrog

Rumblefrog Member

Thank you for this very helpful post!