Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Super rich/high idle

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by JEMAN, Mar 17, 2018.

1. JEMAN

JEMAN New Member

Hello all, finally able to start my car up. When I do the idle is super high and very rich. I have the idle set about 1050 rpms and it idles at almost 2000 rpms and is in the 10's on AFR. If I lower the number on the VE table it idles higher but the AFR's still remain in the 10's. If I add to the VE number it just stumbles and blows black out the pipes. I attached a short idle file. any suggestions are appreciated.

Attached Files:

Pfingstl likes this.
  2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

A disconnected MAP vacuum will cause the F/A to go to 10. If its not that simple, wait for Richard to read your post and file.

3. JEMAN

JEMAN New Member

Thank you for the response. I just verified the map sensor and vacuum line are connected. I can see the map pressure change when I give it gas and let off also so think I is working correctly

4. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

Assuming you are using XFI version 2.05 - I looked at the tune. I can redo the tune for you if you want for $200. If you feel competent to do this yourself here are some things that are wrong - but there A Lot ... LOL ...
    * Many fuel tables are backwards:
    * The CTS Correction table is backward. You are adding fuel as the temp goes up instead of removing it.
    * Same with ATS, cranking fuel, after start,AE fuel, etc. Where did this tune come from? It needs a lot of work.
    * Fault detection is looking for things you don't have.
    * Dwell override should not be enabled.
    * O2 Inhibit Delay is on when you don't want it to be.
    * Max TPS% for idle should be 2% NOT 5% if you did the TPS cal correctly.

There's a lot more. Attached is a "Setting Up" that I give to my customers.
    rich@fastmanefi.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  5. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

AND - NEW RULE for everyone: You must state the ECU type and software version you have.

waybad1 and A A like this.
  6. A A

A A Well-Known Member

From what Richard noted from your file, It sounds like you should pay him for a correct tune with his interactive setup. That will save you many headaches and a lot of time. You can contact him directly by his phone number found on his website - http://www.fastmanefi.com.

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

This needs to be pinned somehow at the top of this forum.

waybad1 likes this.
  8. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

You betcha ....

9. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

Actually this tune looked like what uses to happen when an old tune was brought into the 2.05 software and some tables got reversed but the user didn't go through each table to flip it around.

10. A A

A A Well-Known Member

From his earlier posts, I conclude he just wants to play around with it. He's been picking at it since last November. Probably copied a tune from no telling who or what. Doesn't say much for his learning curve toward having a well tuned engine.

11. JEMAN

JEMAN New Member

Thanks for the replies, Sorry been busy with work full time, school full time and a 1.5 yr old. Yes AA i have been playing around with this and trying to get the car started for a few months but time is not something I have a ton of right now. Get an hour here and there right now. Like you have seen in my earlier post I am planing on using Richards email tuning once I would be able to drive the car on the street. It is a Factory five 33. I only have stage 1 of the kit. so the car is a frame with running gear in it. No seats, body, or lights so no way to drive it to tune it on the street. I am just trying to get it where it idles and i can check for leaks and such before ordering stage 2 in 4 months when i finish school so I find anything before covering with a body. I used a fast tune from their file. I used the 350na36injector size if i remeber correctly. Figured it would get me idling in the driveway but so far has not been the case. The ecu firmware says XFI2_B9 and the software says version 2.051. I have been surprised that i have had issues with starting and idling this car myself. I guess somewhere I swapped the tune like Richard said.

12. A A

A A Well-Known Member

That helps. If you have the 2.0 TBI, the injectors are 74lbs. per hour at 43 PSI. By the by, when most speak of stages, we think of stages of engine build for performance level - not the body.

13. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

JEMAN: Your tune will not allow starting and idling because the reversed tables will flood the motor with fuel. I think you need me to build you a new tune before you try to drive that car. Just saying ....

14. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I agree with Richard. The way your tune is now, it would be better to drain and replace the fuel diluted oil with fresh oil in the crankcase - and let the engine sit until you have a correct tune. Starting the engine as it is will only cause unneeded wear and possible damage. You don't need any setbacks in your build.

15. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Fuel contaminated oil - Smell the oil on the dipstick. If it has any fuel smell, the oil has been contaminated with fuel and needs changing.

16. JEMAN

JEMAN New Member

Thank you both for the help. Richard- I went to your site again and will be filling out the pre tune questions and send it to you with the paypal info. My last semester just picked up this past monday so it has been a little crazy getting all the classes going. I wont be able to do any pulls on the road or anything but at least I can start it and get it going and check for leaks before the body and street legal requirement stuff goes on. AA- i will be draining the oil and replacing the filter before trying Richards tune. Thanks to you both again

17. A A

A A Well-Known Member