Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

The New #304003 (XFI Street Retrofit Kit) And XFI Sportsman ECU

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by A A, Jun 29, 2017.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

If someone knows, I'm certain a lot of folks would like to know of any differences in the features of these two ECUs - where upgrades from EZ EFI 1 and EZ EFI 2.0 systems are desired.

harnesses required
    any O2 sensor changes, etc.
    TBI requirements - 4 injector or 8 injector 2.0 throttle bodies
    any feature differences between XFI Street Retrofit and XFI Sportsman

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-304003
    http://performancemediapr.com/_uploads/docs/2099-FAST XFI Street Engine Management System.pdf

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

The 304003 is basically an EZ-1 ECU that allows user programming via a laptop. Software looks just like a Sportsman but it controls fuel only. It uses the EZ/Sportsman O2. You have full control of Closed Loop and Learn. It allows 2,4,6, or 8 injectors so it can work with either multiport or TBI. It is plug compatible with the EZ-1 and allows full data logging and diagnostics.

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Thanks Richard. So, basically it works with the EZ EFI 1.0 harness (part number 30227), and is only a PC compatible upgrade for the EZ EFI 1.0 ECU. Does the new EZ EFI 1.0 handheld work with the 304003?

Users looking for an upgrade to the EZ EFI 2.0 ECU with its harness (part number 30308), will still be seeing only the XFI Sportsman ECU as their PC compatible upgrade option.

4. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

Basically a nemesis of the EZ systems is an engine with low vacuum at idle. The 4000 series allows the user to adjust idle parameters manually.

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Yes, even if you do get a lower vacuum engine running well with the EZ systems, it's a fact you'll spend a lot more time getting the EZ system to work correctly - and if you ever decide to up the power level, an EZ system will likely become useless. My 406 small block with 9 inches of vacuum at 750 is so borderline, changes for any more power with the EZ EFI 2.0 are out of the question. If I had the Sportsman on it, I'm sure I would wring out some more horsepower from it - just from being a diehard rodder since the 1960's.

My next build will use the XFI Sportsman or XFI 2.0, but the 4000 series sounds like it should work fine if wanting to use other than FAST ECU controlled timing - with or without a manual transmission..

6. rumblefish72

rumblefish72 New Member

That's a pretty competitive price for this enhanced ECU.

7. LnL

LnL Member

What if you run a Dual-Sync distributor, do you have any timing control? Or is it just the same basic timing controls offered by the EZ-1 ecu? (I've only worked with EZ 2.0 and XFI, so I assume 1st-gen EZ ecus have some basic timing functions like the 2.0's).

8. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

No timing control with the EZ-1 or the 4000 series.

9. LnL

LnL Member

Wow, that is unfortunate. I guess I'm back to original plan, to use the Sportsman system.

10. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

Yep. If you want timing control.

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

There are other aftermarket electronic timing controls that can be added into the system - MSD makes and has made quite a few over the years - with some integrated into a few of their CD ignition boxes. The FAST 4000 series ECU is a replacement for what is probably the largest selling FAST consumer system - EZ EFI 1.0. That one seems to get all the hardware upgrades - first the new color handheld, and now the 4000 series ECU replacement for the EZ EFI 1.0 ECU. All said, I would opt to have the FAST 4000 series over the EZ EFI 1.0 as it will accommodate manual or automatic transmissions and lower vacuum, higher horsepower engines designs - and there's still really nothing so bad about plain old mechanical advance distributors (with or without vacuum canisters) for street vehicles.

EZ EFI 2.0 users still only have two real choices - a plug-in XFI Sportsman ECU upgrade (with XFI handheld if desired), or pulling the ECU, main harness and O2, and installing a XFI 2.0 system.

cobrajet likes this.
  12. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Richard,

Are you selling the 4000 series? If you do - now's a good time for a "plug". :)
    I couldn't find a link on your site when I started this thread.

13. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Yes - a good price. But, this could also just be a temporary introductory price as we've seen before. Notice the FAST advertisement lists:

"Part Number: #30400 (Multi-port); #304001 (w/ EZ-EFI Throttle Body); #304003 (Retrofit Kit)"

"Street Price: $621.09 – $1,849.95"

14. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

Yeah, I didn't put the 304003 on my web site because I felt it was a stop gap and users should just bite the bullet and step up to the Sportsman. But I do sell the 304003 for $625.

15. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I think the same. But, I see the 4000 series as a much better alternative to the lower end EZ EFI 1.0 systems so many keep purchasing. That's a good price considering you also give excellent product support that others don't or can't match (including FAST Tech). ;) FAST Tech got me off on the wrong foot a number of times with bad info. That never should have happened considering my background - even if I had always used carburetors in the past and have gotten old. I would have done better ignoring what a number of FAST techs said to me. In the end, I found my own solutions were much better - even finding a solution to what I consider an engineering fault in the EZ EFI 2.0 handheld and the previously unknown causes that will make the handheld act up.

FAST kind of suckered a lot of folks with the EZ EFI systems - with their supposed really easy setup with any engine combo. If I was in charge at FAST, the EZ EFI lines would be discouraged - with the EZ EFI 1.0 systems totally dropped in favor of the new 4000 systems. Using a handheld programmer over a PC is of no real benefit. A PC programmed ECU is by far and beyond much better - and easier. Anyone with an idea of installing EFI should at least be able to use a PC. I see the EZ EFI handhelds as just an advertising gimmick - no better than just a heads up screen that really isn't necessary after setup is complete. It's easier to use a PC for any programming changes to an ECU.

In my opinion, the only low end "EZ" EFI should have been the XFI Sportsman - with the XFI handheld used for the added advertising hook. My EZ EFI 2.0 systems work fine now, but I would have been much happier with Sportsman ECUs from the start.

cobrajet likes this.
  16. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

Well said.

17. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

So with the 4000 series ECU is that only PC control and the original handheld is not compatible/useable? Color upgrade screen work with 4000 series?

18. A A

A A Well-Known Member

SHHHH! Company secret. ;)

Since the software for the 4000 series is similar to XFI software, I doubt either EZ EFI 1.0 handheld is compatible - much like the Sportsman ECU is only compatible with the XFI handheld.

19. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

So kinda an important issue for me and I imagine others contemplating the upgrade. The screen is a handy tool for in car monitoring, quick tweaks, etc. Especially the new color screen.
    Does that mean the 2.0 screen would be compatible? Since the Color upgrade for EZ1 and EZ2 screen are practically the same except software/hardware compatibility. Because it is cheaper for me and any other EZ1 users to upgrade screen and ECU for under $1000 then to jump to a sportsman setup which will be over $1500 and require removing harness and completely reinstalling a new harness.

20. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I guess you mean the XFI handheld screen - it might be compatible with the 4000 series. That's a possibility, but I don't know. I guess some folks like a handheld screen, but I seldom use mine now except for making changes to my tune. The 4000 series is dependent on a PC for that - just like XFI Sportsman and XFI 2.0.

I set up both my TA and GMC (with EZ EFI 2.0) to run the handheld screens above the dash, but, I've taken to disconnecting and putting them away since the novelty wore off. It's like those LEDs on the ECUs - I never look at them unless there is a problem. The ECU in my TA is a real pain to get at, buried in the dash where the OEM Pontiac computer lived, so I never bother looking at it. The ECU on the GMC is very accessible under the hood. But, I hardly ever glance at it now when the hood is open.

If I ever become too dissatisfied with my EZ EFI 2.0 systems, I'll switch to XFI Sportsman. But, I won't bother with adding the XFI handheld screen. I'll just use a computer as needed. Could be age, pretty lights and gauges just don't mean that much any more to me.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017