Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

What is normal vs abnormal Rocker Arm Cup wear?

Discussion in 'COMP Cams Support Forum' started by FoaRyan, May 20, 2018.

?

Should these rockers be replaced

Poll closed Jun 17, 2018.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No but they will need to be replaced early

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FoaRyan

FoaRyan New Member

I am rebuilding my valve train due to a pushrod failure. They weren't bent but I used High Energy stock replacement pushrods, and they ultimately didn't hold up to the increased lift and spring pressure I had them running under. Plan is to replace with chromoly of the same length, and reassemble.

My question is on replacing the rocker arms. On my initial call with Comp, the tech who recommended upgrading pushrods stated the rockers should be fine. They are not burnt or anything, but I am noticing differences in the wear amounts on some of them. Is this normal, as in the type of wear I can expect to see on ALL of the rocker arm cups eventually? Or does the fact that some are seemingly scored mean I would need to replace them as well?

I think most of this wear is due to the OLD pushrods breaking down and forming sharp metal contaminants that were rubbing around. Obviously that should not continue to happen when I put it back together. Posting the poll just for fun, my decision may not be the same as poll results. :)

Attached Files:

2. FoaRyan

FoaRyan New Member

Thanks for the input. I haven't started up the motor yet but did replace the pushrods. I reinstalled everything and finished up this weekend setting the pre-load (hydraulic lifters). Then I had a talk today with an engine-building friend who reminded me I probably want to replace the rocker arms.

To be honest, I've heard opinions ranging from : nah, you're good, to : yes replace them yesterday. When you say the wear is NOT concentric, what do you mean exactly? To me it does look concentric. Also after cleaning them all before installing, they don't feel rough like there are burrs or pits on/in the metal. I'm sort of at the point now where I can either start it up, make sure things run well, then inspect a few rockers afterward, or I can buy yet another part for the insurance of having it. Then, as you're saying, I might as well buy full rollers. (But after a certain amount of "buy this" and "buy that" I'm just going to "buy a new engine" rather than keep getting pieces LOL)