Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

XFI Sportsman - Hard Start When Hot

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by kiltedrunner, Jul 11, 2018.

1. kiltedrunner

kiltedrunner New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm hoping that someone here can help me out. I have looked high and low to figure out my hard start when hot - but still having the issue.

I have a XFI sportsman / EFI 2.0 throttle body on a mopar engine. The high torque starter spins the engine over very easily when cold, but when it's hot, the engine just barely starts to spin and then almost completely stops for a second, then cranks over slowly and finally fires up. I have dropped the spark table at 0 & 100% load below 700RPM to 0 degrees BTDC - this didn't help at all.

I had a theory that it was my new hydraulic lifters bleeding down on one cylinder making high cylinder pressure... but just tonight the sportsman system crashed briefly while the engine was hot and the starter spun the engine super fast - without firing up... Shortly afterwards, I rebooted the XFI Sportsman and I ran into the same issue as stated above where the engine barely turned over (starter was labouring intensely).

So now I believe it is the ignition control managed by the XFI Sportsman that's causing my grief.

Any thoughts on this?

2. kiltedrunner

kiltedrunner New Member

Oh, yeah and the engine starts very easily when cold. Fires right up.

3. J.K.

J.K. Member

Is it possible the starter is on it's way out?
    My buddies car was doing the same thing. His is carb'd, but similar problem. Starter spins normal when cold and hard when heated. He replaced the starter and all seems good again. Just a thought.

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Low voltage to the ECU can cause all kinds of problems. As JK said, it could be the starter going bad and drawing excessive voltage when warm.

Also check the main starter cables and engine ground from the battery for high resistance.

5. kiltedrunner

kiltedrunner New Member

Thanks guys. I have a brand new starter with a welding cable running from the battery in the trunk to the starter. I'm worried that the cable may not be heavy enough. I'll check the draw at the battery and the starter while starting.

6. J.K.

J.K. Member

How's the ground cable grounded? I once purchased a car that the guy had grounded the battery to the radiator support sheetmetal, and no other ground straps grounding the motor that I can recall. It always cranked like a half dead battery, and worse when it was hot. I was young and didn't really know much of anything about cars. One day my neighbor was looking at my engine bay and pointed out my ground cable should be on the motor. So I moved it to the block and what a difference that made. I put up with bad starting for almost a year, and after relocating the ground it cranked very fast.

7. kiltedrunner

kiltedrunner New Member

Thanks guys. So it turns out that my positive wire is unable to power the starter from the trunk. I have a 1 guage wire in place, but I found that it drops 3 volts from the battery to the starter under load!! I'll be mounting a 2/0 gauge welding wire in place to see if that makes the difference.

Fingers crossed!